£14k distributed from Somerset West Lottery’s Local Community Funds
Somerset West Lottery’s Local Community Funds have awarded their first round of grants, with £13,765 distributed to community groups and sports clubs across Taunton Deane and West Somerset.
Administered by Somerset Community Foundation, on behalf of Taunton Deane Borough Council and West Somerset Council, the Local Community Funds were set up to support community projects with the proceeds raised by the Somerset West Lottery.
Among the groups to receive grants were the Blackbrook Friendship Club who were awarded £550 towards clubs and outings for isolated older people; Minehead Street Pastors who were awarded £500 towards pastoral support for students at West Somerset College; and Nynehead Jubilee Playing Field Management Committee who received £400 towards a cycling and walking track.
Cllr Jane Warmington, Executive Member for Community Leadership at TDBC, said: “Somerset West Lottery raises money within the community for the community, giving people in Taunton Deane and West Somerset the opportunity to support the causes they care most about while still being in with a chance of winning something themselves!”
Cllr David Westcott, Lead Member for Customer and Community at WSC, said: “The National Lottery donates 28% to good causes – we’ve more than doubled that amount. Furthermore, every ticket has a 1 in 50 chance of winning a prize.”
A ticket for the weekly Somerset West Lottery costs just £1, with 60p going directly to good causes, and the jackpot is an impressive £25,000. Players can choose to either support a named local good cause or award their contribution to one of the Local Community Funds, which is then open to applications from charitable and community-led groups in the area.
Tickets for the Somerset West Lottery can be purchased online here.
The Local Community Funds will re-open for the second round of applications from groups later this year.
The first groups to benefit from the funding are:-
• Blackbrook Friendship Club - £550 for clubs and outings for isolated older people near Taunton
• Churchinford & District Village Hall - £600 to redecorate of the village hall
• CLOWNS - £1000 towards core costs of supporting young families in West Somerset
• Cruse Bereavement Care - £1000 for volunteer bereavement support
• Escape Support Group - £250 for a day trip for families with children who have disabilities or additional needs
• Kilve Cricket Club - £1000 for new practice nets
• Mencap Taunton - £200 towards core running costs to support adults with learning disabilities
• Minehead EYE CIC - £1000 to pilot yoga sessions for the local community
• Minehead Street Pastors - £500 for pastoral support for students at West Somerset College
• North Taunton Partnership - £700 towards summer activities to build community cohesion
• Nynehead Jubilee Playing Field Management Committee - £400 towards a cycling and walking track
• Somerset Anne Frank Awards - £650 towards an exhibition for young people to raise awareness of religious and racial tolerance
• Stogumber Cricket Club - £1,500 towards the renovation of the Club’s premises
• Taunton East Development Trust - £500 for fundraising support to allow the charity to become more sustainable
• Taunton Team Chaplaincy - £500 for a volunteer service to prevent suicide and its impact on those who are affected
• Watchet Bowling Club - £1000 towards green renovation and preparation for new facilities
• Wellington Bowling Club - £400 for clubhouse renovation
• Wellington Medical Centre Patient Participation Group - £600 towards a volunteer community transport scheme
• West Buckland Friendship Club - £250 for community transport to allow isolated older people to attend activities
• West Somerset Advice Bureau - £965 for accredited debt advice sessions for the local community
• WHERE - £600 for inter-generational activities for older people with dementia and local school children